Feb 17, 2012

"When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'"

I just read this amazing article in the Huffington Post, written by a mother whose 7-year old boy came out to her. Here is an excerpt:

Fast-forward a few months. I was on the phone with a relative who had just discovered that I was blogging on The Huffington Post and openly discussing my son's crush on Blaine. I was in another room alone (I thought), explaining, "We're not saying he's straight, and we're not saying he's gay. We're saying we love who he is," when my son's voice piped up behind me.

"Yes, I am," he said.

"Am what, baby?" I asked.

"Gay. I'm gay."

My world paused for a moment, and I saw the "geez, Mom, didn't you know that already?" look on my son's face.

I got off the phone and leaned down to eye level with him and rubbed my nose against his. "I love you so much."

"I know," he said, and ran off to play with his brothers.

I find this very heartening, and I hope that it's the beginning of a a process, and something that in few decades will be the norm. This kid doesn't know the world of suck that's awaiting him, but the fact that his home environment has normalized homosexuality to the extent that he can just come out like it's no big deal, is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment